Laboratory of Macromolecular and Organic Materials – LMOM
Welcome to the Frauenrath Research Group!
We are the Laboratory of Macromolecular and Organic Materials (Laboratoire des Matériaux Macromoleculaires et Organiques, LMOM) located at the Institute of Materials (Institut des Matériaux, IMX) which is part of the School of Engineering (Faculté des Sciences et Techniques de l'Ingénieur, STI) of the Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland. You will find a detailed description how to find us on our location page. Recent news and highlights from the group are listed on the news page. For more information, check our research, teaching, and group pages.
Research at the Interface of Chemistry and Materials Science
The LMOM focuses on the preparation, characterization, and application of organic molecular and macromolecular materials. Our research is, hence, situated at the interface of chemistry and materials science. In our projects, we aim to combine aspects of organic synthesis, supramolecular chemistry, and polymer science. With this approach, we attempt to vertically integrate the research on organic materials from the synthesis of complex molecules, over the preparation of sophisticated polymers, to the manufacturing of macroscopic materials. More detailed information about the research projects in the Frauenrath Group and their background is available on our research pages.
Classes for Materials Scientists and Chemists
In the fall semester 2010, Prof. Holger Frauenrath will be teaching the classes "Organic & Macromolecular Chemistry" (for Bachelor students in Materials Science) and "Supramolecular Aspects of Advanced Polymer Materials" (for Master students in Materials Science and in Chemistry). Check our teaching pages for more information.
Semester Projects, Research Projects, and Thesis Projects
We have research lab courses open at any time, available for both students in Materials Science and in Chemistry, e.g., for "Projets Matériaux I & II" (BSc in Materials Science), "Research Projects I & II" (MSc in Materials Science, BSc and MSc in Chemistry). Furthermore, we are accepting students from Materials Science as well as Chemistry for Master theses (MSc in Materials Science or Chemistry). Head over to the listing of research lab courses for more information.
News and Highlights from the Group
- December 2, 2009 Dragana Paripovic has started as a PhD student.
- October 3, 2009 Liang Su has joined the group as a PhD student.
- October 3, 2009 Roman Marty has become PhD student in our group.
- October 2, 2009 Damien Rolland has started as a PhD student.
- September 5, 2009 Dr. Ruth Szilluweit has joined the group as a postdoctoral researcher.
- June 22, 2009 Holger Frauenrath received the European Research Council (ERC) Award.
- Read all news from the Frauenrath Research Group.
Laboratory of Macromolecular & Organic Materials
- EPFL – STI – IMX – LMOM
- Building MXG, Room 037, Station 12
- 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
- +41 21 693 7399
- +41 21 693 7395
- +41 21 693 5270
Synthesis, Self-assembly, Polymer Materials
- ▪Conjugated molecules for electronic materials
- ▪Self-assembled organic nanowires
- ▪Molecular precursors for carbon materials
- ▪Oligopeptide–polymer hybrid materials
- ▪Hierarchically structured polymers